Many of us rely on our vehicle to get us from point A to point B, and it’s a habit that is hard to break. Do your body and the environment a favor by using alternative transportation! You’ll probably end up saving money too.
Use this list of suggestions to choose ways to accomplish your challenge, and don’t forget to update your profile on the EcoChallenge website to tell your friends and family about the ways you are achieving your EcoChallenge!
For my EcoChallenge action(s), I will:
- Use alternative transportation methods to get to work
- Bike or walk to run errands within 1 mile of my house or work
- Minimize my car trips by “chaining” together errands or by running errands on my way to/from work, instead of making a separate trip
- Cut my average weekly mileage by 25% by focusing on essential car trips
- Take the 2 mile challenge: I’ll bike or walk whenever I am going to be within a 2 mile radius
- Take the train or streetcar 3 times a week for a trip where I would normally take my car
- Cut out the commute: I’ll work from home occasionally and bypass the commute entirely
- Try a virtual meeting:instead of traveling for business, I’ll set up a video conference
- Take my gym routine outside and exercise outside during the EcoChallenge instead of driving to the gym or get to the gym by bike or bus
- Use human powered transportation for the entire 15 days of the EcoChallenge
- Purchase offsets for any air travel I need to do--for work or pleasure
- Examine the vehicles used by my company and advocate for fuel efficient vehicles