Good for your wallet. Better for your planet.
Choose one Challenge.
Here are some examples to inspire you:
- Invest in water saving appliances (shower heads, faucets, toilets, dish and clothes washers): front load clothes washers save up to 7,000 gallons of water annually and over $100 a year in energy costs.
- Use toilet tank banks to reduce the amount of water flushed.
- Check for leaks: dripping faucets can waste 20 gallons of water per day. For more information check out this calculator.
- Insulate water pipes and the hot water heater to avoid wasting water while waiting for it to heat up.
- Harvest household gray water: reusing just 5 gallons of water per day will save 75 gallons of water during the EcoChallenge!
- Start a compost pile and refrain from using the sink disposal.
- Stop purchasing bottled water and turn to the tap instead.
- Create a rain garden, bioswale, or simply use rain barrels to collect water for outdoor water needs.
- Put mulch around the base of trees and plants to prevent water runoff and increase absorbency.